Monday 2 June 2014

Caribbean Coconut and Mango Cupcakes

One of my colleagues is a vegan and I don't like the idea of leaving anyone out when I bring cakes into the office. With this in mind, I wanted to try my hand at baking without any animal products and I was very happy with the results - I think you will be too.



Since another colleague had helped me with some design work and I thought cupcakes would be a great way to say thanks. I asked him if he wanted anything special to which he replied, 'something with mango in it'. So I went on the hunt for a recipe that was vegan and would pair well with mango 'buttercream'. I immediately thought about coconut since the two go exceptionally well together.

Keen to really pack a mango punch I needed the butercream to be impressively fruity and my biggest concern was how to make the buttercream taste like real buttercream - the mouth-feel is so important. Creamy but not greasy on the lips. I think I've managed to get close, but it's something I want to work on so expect there will be other non-dairy buttercreams on the blog in the coming months.

I've adapted Chloe Coscarelli's coconut layer cake that you can find here.

Ingredients:
For the cake
460g plain flour
450g sugar
1tsp salt
1tsp baking powder
500g unflavoured soy milk
60g white vinegar
200g Trex (vegetable shortening)
2tbs rum
185g desiccated coconut (unsweetened)

For the frosting
250g Trex
750g icing sugar
100g - 150g mango pulp

Yields 36 small cupcakes or 18 large cupcakes.

For the cakes
  1. Preheat the oven to 175C/350F.
  2. Line a cupcake tin with liners.
  3. Mix the soy milk, rum and the vinegar together in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to curdle.
  4. Stir together the coconut, flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
  5. In a mixer with the paddle attachment cream together the sugar and the Trex until light and fluffy.
  6. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and then half of the soy milk mixture. Continue until both the wet and dry ingredients are mixed together. Do not over mix.
  7. Fill the cupcake tin using an ice cream scoop and place inside a preheated oven.
  8. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden turning halfway through.
  9. Let cool completely before frosting each with the mango buttercream.
For the frosting
  1. In a mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the Trex until light and fluffy. 
  2. Add icing sugar in 250g portions and mix until you have incorporated all of the sugar.
  3. Add in the mango pulp and mix until combined and a consistency that is easy for you to work with.

Unlike other vegan cake recipes the mixture can sit whilst you bake the cupcakes without causing the finished cupcake to fall. It seems to be a rather forgiving recipe and it has the seal of approval from both vegans and non-vegans. Next time I make a vegan cake I'm going to try coconut butter alongside the Trex to improve the buttercream.

No comments:

Post a Comment